You will require this approval if you intend to conduct a business from home. Home occupation approvals exist to allow certain small volume trades or occupations to be practised in a residential environment while enabling the local council to maintain sufficient controls to ensure that minimal disturbance and nuisance are created.
Home occupation must take place on land or in a dwelling that you own. You must also:
- not employ a person who is not a family member or occupier of that land or dwelling
- not occupy more than 20 square metres
- not have a sign greater than 0.2 square metres
- not involve retail sale, display or hire goods unless the sale, display or hire is done only by means of the Internet
- not require more car parks than normally needed for a residential dwelling or increase the volume of traffic in the neighbourhood
- not use essential services, such as water or power, to an extent greater than normal.
Please consult the Contact Officer for more information.