Licence or Permit for Ships to Engage in Coasting Trade - Western Australia


You will need this licence or permit if you are the master, owner, charterer or agent of a ship that intends to engage in coasting trade. A ship is engaging in coasting trade when it takes on cargo at any port in the State to be taken to another port within the State.

The permit is valid for a single voyage between the ports specified in the permit.

Service type


A licence defines the need to obtain recognition / certification and registration to undertake a certain business activity.

Eligibility requirements

To be eligible for this licence or permit you must specify:

  • the name, port of registry and official number of the ship
  • the name of its registered owner and master
  • the ports in the State between which it is desired to trade
  • whether the licence or permit is desired for the carriage of cargo only or both cargo and passengers and the kind and amount of cargo intended to be carried
  • any other information required by the Agency.

Where the application is for a permit, the application must specify the voyage for which the permit is desired.


Up to three years


Fees Details for this service in table format.

Task Type Business Structure Description
Apply Application All Please contact the agency for more information.


Act(s) name

Transport Co-ordination Act 1966 Western Australia

Regulation(s) name

Transport Co-ordination Regulations 1985 Western Australia

Administering agency

Department of Transport


Contact details

Contact Email, Phone and Address Details for this service in simple two column table format, header then data.