Licence to Take Flora for Scientific or Other Prescribed Purposes - Western Australia


You will require this licence if you intend to take protected flora from Crown land for a scientific and other prescribed non-commercial purposes. Flora is defined as any plant (including any wildflower, palm, shrub tree, fern, creeper or vine) and includes any part of a plant, including seeds and spores. All flora that is native to Western Australia is protected. A licence may be issued for any of the following uses:

  • scientific purposes
  • hobby purposes
  • propagation purposes (collecting seeds in order to cultivate protected flora)
  • personal enjoyment (domestic decoration, display or study).

If your licence has been issued for a non-commercial purpose you are prohibited from selling protected fauna. If you intend to sell flora taken from Crown land or private property you instead require a commercial purposes or producers licence. Your licence may require you to pay royalties to the Agency.

Please consult the Contact Officer for more information.

Service type


A licence defines the need to obtain recognition / certification and registration to undertake a certain business activity.

Eligibility requirements

To be eligible for this licence, you must:

  • provide details of the purpose for which you intend to collect flora
  • identify the land which you intend to collect flora from
  • obtain the written permission from the relevant Crown Land Manager or other body or authority responsible for the care of the land from which you intend to collect flora
  • complete the required forms
  • pay the licence fee.

Please consult the Contact Officer for more information regarding eligibility requirements.


1 year.


Fees Details for this service in table format.

Task Type Business Structure Amount
Apply Application All $60.00

Other resources

Act(s) name

Wildlife Conservation Act 1950 WA

Regulation(s) name

Wildlife Conservation Regulations 1970 WA

Approval time

10 working days.

Administering agency

Department of Biodiversity, Conservation and Attractions

Parks and Wildlife Service

Contact details

Contact Email, Phone and Address Details for this service in simple two column table format, header then data.

Wildlife Licensing Section

Parks and Wildlife Service

Department of Biodiversity, Conservation and Attractions

Operating address: Technology Park, Western Precinct
17 Dick Perry Avenue
Kensington, Western Australia 6151
Mailing address: LOCKED BAG 30
Bentley DC, Western Australia 6983
Phone: 08 9219 9831
Website: Parks and Wildlife Service (Opens in new window)