You may need this approval if you intend to modify a vehicle or trailer. Approval is needed for any alteration to a vehicle or trailer from:
- the manufacturers specifications
- its form when it was first licensed.
The type of modification you intend to make to your vehicle or trailer will vary your need for this approval. There are three categories of modifications:
- minor (e.g. alarm systems, additional lighting, like-for-like engine change, etc.)
- simple (e.g. transmission substitution, battery relocation, lowering vehicle height, etc.)
- complex (e.g. installing a supercharger or turbocharger, increasing engine power by more than 20%, etc.).
Minor modifications do not need approval or inspection, simple modifications only need an inspection, and complex modifications need approval and engineering certification.