You will require this licence if you intend to prospect or fossick for minerals on Crown land. A Miner's Right may authorise you to carry out the following activities on Crown land which is not the subject of a mining tenement:
- prospect for minerals (including gold)
- conduct geological mapping
- conduct tests for minerals
- undertake limited sampling using hand held equipment, and to remove samples up to 20kg
- mark out land for the purpose of making an application for a mining tenement
- fossick for rocks and gemstones
- take water and camp for the purposes of prospecting.
Please note that a Miner's Right does not authorise these activities on private land or Reserve land. It also does not let the holder take samples weighing more than 20kg. A Miner's Right is only issued to individuals.
Where the land is subject to a pastoral lease, you must obtain the written consent of the occupier before conducting activities. You will also be required to notify the occupier before passing over certain parts of the land.
Please consult the Contact Officer for more information.