You will need this licence if you intend to carry out the following activities on Crown land that not the subject of a mining tenement:
- prospect for minerals (including gold)
- conduct geological mapping
- conduct tests for minerals
- undertake limited sampling using hand held equipment, and to remove samples up to 20 kilograms
- mark out land for the purpose of making an application for a mining tenement
- fossick for rocks and gemstones
- take water and camp for the purposes of prospecting.
Where Crown land has been leased to a pastoralist you will need to take all reasonable and practicable steps to notify the lease holder of your intentions and, when passing or re-passing:
- take all necessary steps to prevent fire, and damage to trees, livestock and other property
- cause as little inconvenience as possible
- comply with reasonable requests from the pastoralist
- keep the number of passes and re-passes to a minimum
- make good any damage caused to improvements or livestock.