** Scheduled maintenance **

We’ll be updating this tool between 7 am and 11 am on 20 July 2024 (AEST). During this time, this website will be unavailable

Miner's Right - Western Australia


You will need this licence if you intend to carry out the following activities on Crown land that not the subject of a mining tenement:

  • prospect for minerals (including gold)
  • conduct geological mapping
  • conduct tests for minerals
  • undertake limited sampling using hand held equipment, and to remove samples up to 20 kilograms
  • mark out land for the purpose of making an application for a mining tenement
  • fossick for rocks and gemstones
  • take water and camp for the purposes of prospecting.

Where Crown land has been leased to a pastoralist you will need to take all reasonable and practicable steps to notify the lease holder of your intentions and, when passing or re-passing:

  • take all necessary steps to prevent fire, and damage to trees, livestock and other property
  • cause as little inconvenience as possible
  • comply with reasonable requests from the pastoralist
  • keep the number of passes and re-passes to a minimum
  • make good any damage caused to improvements or livestock.

Service type


A licence defines the need to obtain recognition / certification and registration to undertake a certain business activity.

Eligibility requirements

Please contact the agency to identify any eligibility requirements.


As specified


Fees Details for this service in table format.

Task Type Business Structure Description
Apply Application Other, Sole Trader

Please consult the Contact Officer for information on fees to be submitted.


Act(s) name

Mining Act 1978 Western Australia

Regulation(s) name

Mining Regulations 1981 Western Australia

Administering agency

Department of Energy, Mines, Industry Regulation and Safety

Minerals and Mining

Contact details

Contact Email, Phone and Address Details for this service in simple two column table format, header then data.