Motor Vehicle Dealer's Licence - Western Australia


You will need this licence if you intend to deal in motor vehicles. Motor vehicles include cars, motorcycles, commercial vehicles, trucks, caravans and campervans.

There are six categories of licence, which you may hold combinations of:

  • Category A - vehicle sales: buying, selling and auctioning vehicles other than motorcycles, caravans or campervans
  • Category B - motorcycle sales: buying, selling and auctioning motorcycles
  • Category C - caravan sales: buying, selling and auctioning caravans and campervans
  • Category D - vehicle wrecker (dismantler): buying any vehicles for the purpose of dismantling them and selling off the parts
  • Category E - vehicle broker / agent: acting as an agent to facilitate the selling or purchase of any vehicles on behalf of members of the public
  • Category F - vehicle hire and sales: hiring out vehicles, buying vehicles for hiring out, and selling and auctioning any vehicles that have been hired out by the dealer.

Service type


A licence defines the need to obtain recognition / certification and registration to undertake a certain business activity.

Eligibility requirements

To be eligible for this licence you must:

  • be an individual, partnership or company
  • be at least 18 years old
  • successfully complete the motor vehicle dealer licensing course
  • have sufficient resources to meet the obligations for your intended licence category or categories
  • have no recent significant criminal convictions
  • have authorised premises to operate from
  • hold a current National Police Certificate.

In the case of a partnership or company, you will need to ensure that any relevant partner(s) or director(s) meet the eligibility requirements outlined above.


Up to three years


Fees Details for this service in table format.

Task Type Business Structure Description
Apply Application Company, Partnership, Sole Trader

Fee information is in the attached fee resource.

Other resources

Task Business Structure Resources
Comply Company, Partnership, Sole Trader Motor Vehicle Dealer Premises (Opens in new window)
Comply Company, Partnership, Sole Trader Motor Vehicle Dealers Fees (Opens in new window)
Comply Company, Co-operative, Incorporated Association, Other, Partnership, Sole Trader Mutual Recognition (Opens in new window)

Act(s) name

Motor Vehicle Dealers Act 1973 Western Australia

Regulation(s) name

Motor Vehicle Dealers (Licensing) Regulations 1974 Western Australia

Administering agency

Department of Energy, Mines, Industry Regulation and Safety

Consumer Protection

Contact details

Contact Email, Phone and Address Details for this service in simple two column table format, header then data.