** Scheduled maintenance **

We’ll be updating this tool between 7 am and 11 am on 20 July 2024 (AEST). During this time, this website will be unavailable

Notification / Registration of a Controlled Food Business - Western Australia


You need to notify or register with the Agency to operate a food business that:

  • processes meat, poultry or seafood for export overseas
  • prepares food in an aged care facility or public hospital
  • engages in the primary production and processing of bivalve molluscs
  • engages in the primary production, processing and transportation of dairy products.

If you intend to purchase, establish or operate any kind of food business, please contact the Contact Officer for more information.

Service type


A licence defines the need to obtain recognition / certification and registration to undertake a certain business activity.

Eligibility requirements

Please consult the Contact Officer for more information regarding eligibility requirements.


Remains in force until cancelled


Fees Details for this service in table format.

Task Type Business Structure Amount Description
Apply Application All $255.00

Fees for 2024-25

Apply Application All $84.00

Notification fee (exempt food businesses only). Fees for 2024-25


Other resources

Task Business Structure Resources
Comply Company, Co-operative, Other, Partnership, Sole Trader Exempted Food Businesses (Opens in new window)

Act(s) name

Food Act 2008 Western Australia

Regulation(s) name

Food Regulations 2009 Western Australia

Application process


In order to apply for a registration, you will need to submit:

  • a completed application form
  • design and fit-out specifications of the premises where food is to be handled (if required)
  • other requested information that will assist in determining the risk classification of the food business.

Administering agency

Department of Health

Contact details

Contact Email, Phone and Address Details for this service in simple two column table format, header then data.