Access Authority - Western Australia


You will need to an access authority if you hold a form of petroleum or geothermal title and intend to extend limited exploration activities in vacant acreage or acreage held under another party's title.

Access authorities are usually granted for limited exploration activities, usually seismic lines tying into some other known control or drilling deviated wells.

Service type


A licence defines the need to obtain recognition / certification and registration to undertake a certain business activity.

Eligibility requirements

To be eligible for an access authority you will need to hold a petroleum or geothermal exploration title on land that is adjacent to the area subject of the application. Relevant titles include:

  • exploration permits
  • drilling reservations
  • retention lease
  • production licence
  • special prospecting authority.


As specified


Fees Details for this service in table format.

Task Type Business Structure Description
Apply Application All

Please consult the Contact Officer for information on fees to be submitted.


Other resources

Task Business Structure Resources
Comply Company, Co-operative, Other, Partnership, Sole Trader Petroleum and Geothermal Explorer's Guide - PDF (Opens in new window)

Act(s) name

Petroleum and Geothermal Energy Resources Act 1967 Western Australia

Application process


Forms can be downloaded and submitted online through the Petroleum and Geothermal Register (PGR).

Where access is needed to areas that are held under permit by another party, the party needs to be given the opportunity to comment on, but not veto, the proposed access. To hasten the approval process, it is advisable to seek the consent of the other permit holder and include this consent with the application.

Administering agency

Department of Energy, Mines, Industry Regulation and Safety


Contact details

Contact Email, Phone and Address Details for this service in simple two column table format, header then data.