Owner Builder Approval - Western Australia


You will require this approval if you intend to be an owner builder. An owner builder conducts building work on their own property that would otherwise require a registered builder. Approval is necessary for projects valued over $20 000. There are several different classes of work for which approval can be given:

  • Class 1a (i) - a single dwelling such as a detached house, including extensions to a house or a habitable dwelling on the same property but separate to the main house such as a granny flat
  • modification, cut outs or alteration of an existing building
  • Class 10 buildings - non-habitable buildings such as a private garage, carport or shed
  • small commercial building - one or two storey buildings with a floor space of less than 500 metres squared that is not a detached house, Class 10 building or farm building.

You must obtain this approval before you can apply for a building permit from local government for your building work. In accordance with legislation, you must have a policy of insurance in relation to the building work or have insurance cover provided by an approved fund. You may only be granted this approval once every six years.

Please consult the Contact Officer for more information.

Service type


A licence defines the need to obtain recognition / certification and registration to undertake a certain business activity.

Eligibility requirements

To obtain approval as an owner-builder all the owners of the land must:

  • submit the required forms
  • pay any required fees.

Please refer to the website and attached documents or consult the Contact Officer for more information regarding eligibility requirements.


This approval expires six months from when it is granted, or on the day that the local government refuses the owner builder's application for a building permit.


Fees Details for this service in table format.

Task Type Business Structure Amount Description
Apply Application All $174.00


Apply Application All $467.00



Task Business Structure Resources
Apply All Owner Builder Approval - PDF (Opens in new window)

Act(s) name

Building Services (Registration) Act 2011 Western Australia

Regulation(s) name

Building Services (Registration) Regulations 2011 Western Australia

Administering agency

Department of Mines, Industry Regulation and Safety

Building and Energy

Contact details

Contact Email, Phone and Address Details for this service in simple two column table format, header then data.

Please use these contact details for help or more information:

Building General Enquiries

Building and Energy

Department of Mines, Industry Regulation and Safety

Operating address: Mason Bird Building
Level 1
303 Sevenoaks Street
Cannington, Western Australia 6107
Mailing address: LOCKED BAG 100
East Perth, Western Australia 6892
Phone: 1300 489 099
Fax: 08 6251 1501
Email: be.info@dmirs.wa.gov.au
Website: Building and Energy (Opens in new window)