Pastoral Lease and Permits - Western Australia


You will need this lease if you intend to use crown land for pastoral purposes. Pastoral purposes include:

  • commercial grazing of authorised stock (sheep, cattle, horses, goats and stock kept for domestic or household use)
  • agricultural, horticultural or other supplementary uses of the land which are essential to or normally associated with the grazing of stock, including the production of stock feed
  • activities that support the above purposes.

Please note that a pastoral lease is a right granted by the government to use crown land for pastoral purposes in exchange for regular rental payments. The conditions of each individual lease may vary. All leases will contain conditions you must fulfil in order to retain the lease. Once you have obtained a pastoral lease, you can apply for a permit to use the land for pastoral activities not on the initial lease or for non-pastoral activities. Activities for which it is possible to gain permit include:

  • clearing land
  • sowing non-indigenous pastures
  • agricultural activities unrelated to the grazing of authorised stock
  • non-pastoral uses of enclosed or improved land
  • low-key pastoral based tourism
  • keeping prohibited stock (any animals that are farmed, kept or managed other than the authorised stock listed above)
  • selling the products or produce of the above activities.

Service type


A licence defines the need to obtain recognition / certification and registration to undertake a certain business activity.

Eligibility requirements

To be eligible for a lease the agency must be satisfied that either the:

  • pastoral use will be economically viable and ecologically sustainable
  • lease is to be merged with an adjoining, approved pastoral lease.


Up to 50 years


Fees Details for this service in table format.

Task Type Business Structure Description
Apply Application All

Please consult the Contact Officer for information on fees to be submitted.


Act(s) name

Land Administration Act 1997 Western Australia

Regulation(s) name

Land Administration Regulations 1998 Western Australia

Administering agency

Department of Planning, Lands and Heritage


Contact details

Contact Email, Phone and Address Details for this service in simple two column table format, header then data.