Permission to Erect or Alter a Fence (Private Property) - Shire of Manjimup - Western Australia


You may require permission to erect, construct or alter a fence on private property. A fence is any wall or similar structure, irrespective of material content, located on or near a common boundary. It includes a front fence to a property but does not include any structural part of a building.

A building licence or planning permission is required in certain circumstances.

Please consult directly with the council to ascertain whether special permission is required to erect a fence, and also whether there are any specific requirements regarding the height and setback of the fence or relating to the materials and standards of construction.

Please consult the Contact Officer for more information.

Service type


A licence defines the need to obtain recognition / certification and registration to undertake a certain business activity.

Eligibility requirements

To be eligible for this licence you must:

  • Submit the relevant form;
  • Pay the application fee; and
  • Provide the documentation and information required by the Council.

In considering your application the Council will take into account:

  • The suitability of the fence in the context of surrounding fences and the amenity of the locality in general;
  • The comments of adjoining owners;
  • Compliance with the Building Code; and
  • Compliance with the Council's policy on fences.

Please consult the Contact Officer for more information.


As indicated.


Fees Details for this service in table format.

Task Type Business Structure Description
Apply Application All

Please consult the Contact Officer for information on fees to be submitted.


Act(s) name

Local Government Act 1995 Western Australia

Local law(s) name

Fencing Local Law 2012

Administering agency

Shire of Manjimup

Contact details

Contact Email, Phone and Address Details for this service in simple two column table format, header then data.