Permission to Erect or Alter a Fence (Private Property) - City of Melville - Western Australia


You will require this approval if you intend to erect a fence that does not meet the specifications contained in Schedule 1 of the Local Law Relating to Fences.

You will also require the written approval of the Council if you intend to construct or repair a fence with used materials or with any materials other than: brick, concrete, masonry, wrought iron, tubular steel, link mesh, wire, timber, thatched brush-wood, fibrosheeting or any colorbond sheeting.

A building licence or planning approval may be required in certain circumstances.

Please consult the Contact Officer for more information.

Service type


A licence defines the need to obtain recognition / certification and registration to undertake a certain business activity.

Eligibility requirements

Please consult the Contact Officer for more information regarding eligibility requirements.


As specified on permit.


Fees Details for this service in table format.

Task Type Business Structure Description
Apply Application All

Please consult the Contact Officer for information on fees to be submitted.


Act(s) name

Local Government Act 1995 Western Australia

Local law(s) name

Local Law Relating to Fences 1983

Administering agency

City of Melville

Contact details

Contact Email, Phone and Address Details for this service in simple two column table format, header then data.

Please use these contact details for help or more information:

Building Officer

City of Melville

Western Australia
Operating address: 10 Almondbury Road
Booragoon, Western Australia 6154
Mailing address: LOCKED BAG 1
Booragoon, Western Australia 6954
Phone: 08 9364 0666
Phone: 1300 635 845
Fax: 08 9364 0285
Website: City of Melville (Opens in new window)