You will need this certificate if you intend to operate a vessel as its master within a port without using pilotage services. Pilotage services involve approved pilots guiding vessels in and out of ports safely. Pilotage services are compulsory for all vessels of 150 gross tonnes in ports operated by a port authority unless you hold this exemption certificate.
There are five port authorities:
- Fremantle Port Authority (Port of Fremantle)
- Kimberley Ports Authority (Port of Broome, Wyndham, Derby and Yampi Sound)
- Mid West Ports Authority (Port of Geraldton)
- Pilbara Ports Authority (ports of Ashburton, Dampier, Port Hedland and Varanus Island)
- Southern Ports Authority (ports of Albany, Bunbury and Esperance).
In the Port of Fremantle, certificates of local knowledge also exempt operation of vessels without use of pilotage services.
Please consult the relevant Port Authority for more information.