You will need this permit if you intend to drive a restricted access vehicle on a road in Western Australia. A restricted access vehicle exceeds one or more of the following limits:
- 2.5 metres wide
- 4.3 metres high
- 12.5 metres long for rigid vehicles
- 19 metres long for combination vehicles
- 42.5 tonne gross mass
- 6 tonnes on a single steer axle
- 10 tonnes on a twin steer axle group (non-load sharing suspension)
- 11 tonnes on a twin steer axle group (load sharing suspension)
- 9 tonnes on a single axle
- 16.5 tonnes on a tandem axle group
- 20 tonnes on a tri or quad axle group.
Permits are needed to operate certain types of restricted access vehicles. These permits grant access to such vehicles to certain parts of the road Network under specific operating conditions. Permits are issued for different classes of vehicle. For a full list of permit classes, please view the Agency's website.
To operate a restricted access vehicle you will also need to hold a driver's licence in the correct class, and obtain heavy vehicle accreditation. The Agency may authorise some classes of restricted access vehicles to operate without a permit.
Please consult the Contact Officer for more information.