Restricted Electrical Licence or Permit - Western Australia


You will need a licence or permit if you intend to perform certain types of electrical work, and do not hold an electrician's licence. Prescribed electrical work includes:

  • domestic appliance work (including stoves)
  • refrigeration and air conditioning work
  • instrument process control work.

Service type


A licence defines the need to obtain recognition / certification and registration to undertake a certain business activity.

Eligibility requirements

To be eligible for a licence or permit, you must:

  • be a fit and proper person
  • have the competence, qualifications, experience and / or training for the type of electrical work you intend to carry out.


1 or 5 years


Fees Details for this service in table format.

Task Type Business Structure Description
Apply Application Sole Trader

Fee information is in the attached fee resource.

Other resources

Task Business Structure Resources
Comply Company, Co-operative, Incorporated Association, Partnership, Sole Trader Building and Energy Fee Schedule - Electrical - PDF (Opens in new window)
Comply Sole Trader Fit and Proper Guidelines for Electrical Workers (Opens in new window)
Comply Company, Co-operative, Incorporated Association, Other, Partnership, Sole Trader Licensing of Electrical Workers and Electrical Contractors (Opens in new window)
Comply Sole Trader Mutual Recognition (Opens in new window)

Act(s) name

Electricity Act 1945 Western Australia

Regulation(s) name

Electricity (Licensing) Regulations 1991 Western Australia

Administering agency

Department of Energy, Mines, Industry Regulation and Safety

Building and Energy

Contact details

Contact Email, Phone and Address Details for this service in simple two column table format, header then data.