Security Sensitive Ammonium Nitrate Import / Export Licence - Western Australia


You will require this licence if you intend to import or export security sensitive ammonium nitrate (SSAN) into or out of Western Australia or supplying to others who are authorised to possess it. A SSAN is a substance that contains more that 45% ammonium nitrate, unless it is an explosive or an aqueous solution.

Your licence will be endorsed for a specific type and quantity of SSAN. You will also be required to provide the Agency with an SSAN import notice, or SSAN export notice before you import or export SSAN. You will require additional licences if you intend to store, transport, use or manufacture SSAN. Please note that the Agency recommends the use of an accredited dangerous goods consultant to prepare and submit your application.

Please consult the Contact Officer for more information.

Service type


A licence defines the need to obtain recognition / certification and registration to undertake a certain business activity.

Eligibility requirements

To be eligible for this licence you must:

  • 21 years of age or over
  • hold a current Dangerous Goods Security Card
  • demonstrate a satisfactory level of experience, knowledge and competency in the safe handling, storage and security of the SSAN
  • have made adequate arrangements for the safe and secure handling and storage of the SSAN
  • submit the required form
  • pay the required fee.

If you are applying as a partnership or a corporation you will need to provide information that adequate arrangements have been made to ensure persons who will have unsupervised access to the SSAN possess a Western Australian Dangerous Goods Security Card and authorised as secure employees.

Please consult the Contact Officer for more information regarding eligibility requirements.



5 years.


Fees Details for this service in table format.

Task Type Business Structure Amount
Apply Application All $190.00

Act(s) name

Dangerous Goods Safety Act 2004 Western Australia

Regulation(s) name

Dangerous Goods Safety (Security Sensitive Ammonium Nitrate) Regulations 2007 Western Australia

Administering agency

Department of Mines, Industry Regulation and Safety

Resources Safety

Contact details

Contact Email, Phone and Address Details for this service in simple two column table format, header then data.

Please use these contact details for help or more information:

Dangerous Goods Licensing

Resources Safety

Department of Mines, Industry Regulation and Safety

Operating address: Level 1
303 Sevenoaks Street
Cannington, Western Australia 6107
Phone: 08 6251 2300
Website: Dangerous Goods (Opens in new window)