Service Approval - Western Australia


You will require this approval if you intend to operate a family day care or centre-based service for children ranging from below school age up to the commencement of a secondary school program. Centre-based services include long day care, preschool or kindergarten and outside school hours care services.

If you intend to operate multiple child care services you must apply separately for approval for each service. All services must have a nominated supervisor who holds a supervisor certificate before they can begin operating.

This is a nationally recognised approval. This means that you do not need to have a separate approval in each jurisdiction in which you operate. However, service approval applications can be subject to interviews if the provider approval was granted in another jurisdiction.

Please consult the Contact Officer for more information.

Service type


A licence defines the need to obtain recognition / certification and registration to undertake a certain business activity.

Eligibility requirements

To be eligible for this approval you must:

  • be an approved provider or have already applied for an provider approval
  • be the person who will operate the service and who is responsible for the management of the staff members and nominated supervisor of the service
  • submit any required forms and documentation and pay any required fees.

This approval will not be granted until your provider approval is granted. The associated document outlines further information on requirements, including what information you must include with your application.

Please consult the Contact Officer for more information regarding eligibility requirements.


This approval is perpetual until the date that it is suspended or cancelled.


Fees Details for this service in table format.

Task Type Business Structure Description
Apply Application All

Fees will vary depending on your circumstances. Please consult the fee index for more information.


Other resources

Task Business Structure Resources
Comply All Indexation of Fees (Opens in new window)

Act(s) name

Education and Care Services National Law (WA) Act 2012 Western Australia

Regulation(s) name

Education and Care Services National Regulations 2012 Western Australia

Lodgement process


You must create an online NQA ITS account to submit the required application forms.

Approval time

The Authority must give written notice to you within 7 days after their decision on your application is made.

Administering agency

Department of Communities

Education and Care Regulatory Unit

Contact details

Contact Email, Phone and Address Details for this service in simple two column table format, header then data.

Please use these contact details for help or more information:


Education and Care Regulatory Unit

Department of Communities

Mailing address: 111 Wellington Street
East Perth, Western Australia 6004
Mailing address: PO BOX 6242
East Perth, Western Australia 6892
Toll Free: 1800 199 383
Phone: 08 6551 8333
Website: Education and Care Regulatory Unit (Opens in new window)