Special Prospecting Licence - Western Australia


You will need this licence if you intend to prospect for gold on land which is already the subject of a prospecting licence, exploration licence or mining lease (the primary tenement).

Special prospecting licence holders can:

  • prospect for gold in an area up to 10 hectares in size, and to a maximum depth of 50 metres (unless otherwise specified)
  • excavate or remove up to 500 tonnes of material.

Service type


A licence defines the need to obtain recognition / certification and registration to undertake a certain business activity.

Eligibility requirements

To be eligible for this licence you will need to mark out the area of land you intend to prospect on.

Ongoing eligibility requirements

You will need to satisfy the minimum annual expenditure requirements for the blocks under your licence (unless you are exempted), pay any royalties and submit all necessary reports.


This licence is available in three month terms, or multiples thereof, up to a maximum of four years.


Fees Details for this service in table format.

Task Type Business Structure Description
General Application Other, Sole Trader

Fee information is in the attached fee resource.

Act(s) name

Mining Act 1978 Western Australia

Regulation(s) name

Mining Regulations 1981 Western Australia

Application process


Special prospecting licences (SPLs) have the same application process as prospecting licences, except for some important differences.

You will need to do the following if you intend to apply for an SPL on a prospecting or exploration licence:

  • serve the primary tenement holder with a copy of your application (form 21)
  • submit your application after the primary tenement has been granted for 12 months
  • only apply for one SPL within a prospecting licence, unless you receive consent, in writing, from the prospecting licence holder.
  • only apply for one SPL for every 200 hectares aggregate within an exploration licence, unless you receive consent, in writing, from the exploration licence holder.

You will only need to obtain the consent from the primary tenement holder if you intend to apply for an SPL on a mining lease.

Lodgement process


You will need to submit your application within 10 days of marking our your licence.

Additional information

You will need to pay a security if your application is successful.

Administering agency

Department of Energy, Mines, Industry Regulation and Safety

Minerals and Mining

Contact details

Contact Email, Phone and Address Details for this service in simple two column table format, header then data.