Special Purpose Consent - Western Australia


You may need this licence if you intend to explore for minerals and take samples of or recover minerals in coastal waters for any of the following purposes:

  • a scientific investigation
  • a reconnaissance survey
  • the collection of small amounts of minerals.

A reconnaissance survey is the exploration of an area to work out whether the area is sufficiently promising to justify more detailed exploration under an exploration licence.

Special purpose consents may be granted over the following blocks even if the block area is already subject to a licence or another consent:

  • standard block
  • reserved block
  • tender block.

Service type


A licence defines the need to obtain recognition / certification and registration to undertake a certain business activity.

Eligibility requirements

Please contact the agency to identify any eligibility requirements.


Up to 12 months


Fees Details for this service in table format.

Task Type Business Structure Amount Description
Apply Application All $300.00

You may need to pay additional fees. Please contact the agency for more information. Fees for 2023-24


Act(s) name

Offshore Minerals Act 2003 Western Australia

Regulation(s) name

Offshore Minerals Regulations 2010 Western Australia

Application process


In your written application, you must:

  • include details of the activities you intend to undertake
  • specify the relevant blocks you are seeking the consent for.

If your activities involve only small amounts of minerals, you will need to specify:

  • any minerals to be recovered
  • the proposed quality of them.

Administering agency

Department of Energy, Mines, Industry Regulation and Safety

Minerals and Mining

Contact details

Contact Email, Phone and Address Details for this service in simple two column table format, header then data.