Temporary Movement Permit - Western Australia


You will need this permit if you intend to move an unlicensed vehicle for the purposes of examination for licensing or repairs prior to licensing. This permit can be obtained for the purposes of moving:

  • an agricultural vehicle to a property, to remain on such property
  • an agricultural vehicle to the nearest place where repairs may be made
  • an unlicensed vehicle to a different state to be licensed
  • a licensed vehicle from a different state to Western Australia
  • a vehicle to a Vehicle Examination Centre for inspection.

Temporary movement permits are issued for movements within a 48-hour period and may be used to travel through or into South Australia and the Northern Territory. If your permit expires when you are outside of Western Australia, you must apply for the applicable permit in that jurisdiction.

Service type


A licence defines the need to obtain recognition / certification and registration to undertake a certain business activity.

Eligibility requirements

Please contact the agency to identify any eligibility requirements.


Permits are usually valid for 48 hours from the nominated start time.


Fees Details for this service in table format.

Task Type Business Structure Description
Apply Application All

Fee information is in the attached fee resource.


Other resources

Task Business Structure Resources
Comply All Get a Temporary Movement Permit (Opens in new window)

Act(s) name

Road Traffic (Vehicles) Act 2012 Western Australia

Regulation(s) name

Road Traffic (Vehicles) Regulations 2014 Western Australia

Additional information

You cannot receive a permit for the following purposes:

  • any unlicensed motor vehicle being moved for parts or wrecking
  • caravans or trailers moving between sites
  • oversized caravans
  • a once only movement of a boat jinker.

Administering agency

Department of Transport

Transport Services

Driver and Vehicle Services

Contact details

Contact Email, Phone and Address Details for this service in simple two column table format, header then data.