Tradesperson's Licence (Drainage Plumbing) - Western Australia


You will need this licence if you intend to:

  • carry out drainage plumbing work
  • supervise the carrying out of plumbing work by an apprentice or provisional tradesperson licence holder under the general direction and control of a licensed plumbing contractor.

Drainage plumbing work is work that involves the installation, alteration, extension, disconnection, repair or maintenance of underground pipes and other fittings used for carrying wastewater to sewer, or wastewater or other waste to a sewage treatment apparatus.

Service type


A licence defines the need to obtain recognition / certification and registration to undertake a certain business activity.

Eligibility requirements

To be eligible for this licence you must:

  • be a fit and proper person
  • hold the required qualifications (including migrant gap training if you are a holder of a provisional licence applying for a full licence)
  • hold a current National Police Certificate.

To be eligible for a provisional licence you must have obtained an Offshore Technical Skills Record that assesses your skills and competency in plumbing against the relevant Australian qualifications or units of competency.


Three years for a tradesperson's licence. 12 months for a provisional tradesperson's licence.


Fees Details for this service in table format.

Task Type Business Structure Description
Apply Application Sole Trader

Fee information is in the attached fee resource.


Other resources

Task Business Structure Resources Important
Apply Sole Trader Provisional Tradesperson's Licence (Drainage Plumbing) (Opens in new window) Important
Comply Company, Co-operative, Incorporated Association, Other, Partnership, Sole Trader Building and Energy Fee Schedule - Building Services and Plumbing (Opens in new window)
Comply Sole Trader Mutual Recognition (Opens in new window)

Act(s) name

Plumbers Licensing Act 1995 Western Australia

Regulation(s) name

Plumbers Licensing and Plumbing Standards Regulations 2000 Western Australia


This licence is not transferable.

Additional information

You may be able to apply for a provisional version of this licence if you hold a plumbing qualification from another country. This provisional licence enables you to work in Western Australia under supervision whilst completing Australian context training and gaining experience in local conditions.

Administering agency

Department of Energy, Mines, Industry Regulation and Safety

Building and Energy

Contact details

Contact Email, Phone and Address Details for this service in simple two column table format, header then data.