Trading in Public Places Licence or Permit - City of Kalgoorlie-Boulder - Western Australia


You will need a licence or a permit if you intend to trade goods or services in public places. Public places include Council land, and places that the public have a right of access, such as streets, thoroughfares and parks.

There are three types of public trading activities:

  • street trader - offering goods (for sale or hire) or services in a public place
  • stallholder - displaying goods (for sale or hire) or offering services from a movable or temporary structure, stand or table
  • hawker - going from place to place, whether or not they are public places, and offering goods (for sale or hire) or services.

Service type


A licence defines the need to obtain recognition / certification and registration to undertake a certain business activity.

Eligibility requirements

To be eligible to as a street trader or a stallholder, you must specify the:

  • location from which you want to trade
  • number of assistants
  • time period during which trading will occur
  • type of goods for sale
  • name and address of permit holder and all assistants.

You will need to provide a copy of your public liability insurance for a minimum of $10 million.

If you intend to sell conduct public trading as a hawker you are required to be certified by two Justices of the Peace that you are of good character and a fit person to trade as a hawker.

Please consult the Contact Officer for more information regarding eligibility requirements.


One year unless otherwise stated.


Fees Details for this service in table format.

Task Type Business Structure Amount Description
Apply Application All $59.00

Permit to conduct on streets and thoroughfares (max 4 days) application, plus a licence fee of $18 per day. Fees for 2023-24

Apply Application All $59.00

Footpath trading (for CBD business only - doesn't include alfresco dining) application, plus a licence fee of one of the below:

  • per week: $6.00
  • per month: $12.00
  • per annum - $59.00.

Fees for 2023-24

Apply Application All $171.00

Stationary trading permit (for food vans or market trading not captured by the permit to conduct)application, plus a licence fee of one of the below:

  • per week: $341.00
  • per 3 months: $1705.00
  • per 6 months: $2841.00
  • per annum: $5682.00.

Fees for 2023-24

Transfer Transfer All $32.00

Fees for 2023-24

Act(s) name

Local Government Act 1995 Western Australia

Administering agency

City of Kalgoorlie-Boulder

Contact details

Contact Email, Phone and Address Details for this service in simple two column table format, header then data.