Transit and Mining Access Entry Permits for Aboriginal Reserves - Western Australia


You may need a permit if you intend to undertake certain activities in Aboriginal reserves and communities. There are two types of permits available - transit permits and mining access permits.

Transit permits are needed if you intend to enter and pass through certain Aboriginal reserves and are generally issued on a short-term basis. They usually apply if you intend to:

  • visit or travel through for tourism, recreation or business purposes
  • visit art or cultural centres
  • conduct pre-arranged business with communities.

Mining access permits are needed if you intend to:

  • conduct any mining activity (e.g. surveying and / or marking out of tenements, fossicking, prospecting, exploring and mining)
  • travel through to access other mining tenements for prospecting, exploration or mining purposes.

The approval of the specific Aboriginal community you intend to visit may be needed before you undertake commercial activities on reserve or community land.

Service type


A licence defines the need to obtain recognition / certification and registration to undertake a certain business activity.

Eligibility requirements

To be eligible for a transit permit, you will need to justify your visit and comply with any community guidelines. To be eligible for a mining access permit, you must gain permission to undertake mining activities.


As specified


Fees Details for this service in table format.

Task Type Business Structure Description
Apply Application All

Most permits are free of charge. However, it should be noted that some Aboriginal communities have placed a levy on entry, camping or activities for people intending to visit or remain on a reserve for an extended period (e.g. tourist activities).

Act(s) name

Aboriginal Affairs Planning Authority Act 1972 Western Australia

Regulation(s) name

Aboriginal Affairs Planning Authority Act Regulations 1972 Western Australia

Application process


You can apply for most travel permits online.

Please consult the Contact Officer for information on how to apply for a mining access permit.

Administering agency

Department of Planning, Lands and Heritage

Aboriginal Affairs

Contact details

Contact Email, Phone and Address Details for this service in simple two column table format, header then data.