You may need a permit if you intend to undertake certain activities in Aboriginal reserves and communities. There are two types of permits available - transit permits and mining access permits.
Transit permits are needed if you intend to enter and pass through certain Aboriginal reserves and are generally issued on a short-term basis. They usually apply if you intend to:
- visit or travel through for tourism, recreation or business purposes
- visit art or cultural centres
- conduct pre-arranged business with communities.
Mining access permits are needed if you intend to:
- conduct any mining activity (e.g. surveying and / or marking out of tenements, fossicking, prospecting, exploring and mining)
- travel through to access other mining tenements for prospecting, exploration or mining purposes.
The approval of the specific Aboriginal community you intend to visit may be needed before you undertake commercial activities on reserve or community land.
Please consult the Contact Officer for more information.