Vehicle Licence - Western Australia


You will need this licence if you intend to drive a vehicle on a public road. A vehicle must be licensed before you can drive it on a public road. You will also need a driver's licence that authorises you to drive the type of vehicle (including trailers and caravans) you intend to use.

A licence is not needed for either:

  • an agricultural implement being towed on a road by a licensed vehicle
  • an unlicensed vehicle of any type being towed on a road by a licensed tow truck
  • a motorised vehicle designed to be incapable of exceeding 10 kilometres per hour (e.g. an electric wheelchair or ride on lawnmower)
  • a single or two-wheeled electric personal transport that is designed to not be capable of exceeding 10 kilometres per hour and which is only used in a designated electronic personal transport area.

If your vehicle licence has expired or you want to licence an imported vehicle, you may need to get the vehicle examined first.

Once the vehicle is licensed a new set of number plates will be issued.

Service type


A licence defines the need to obtain recognition / certification and registration to undertake a certain business activity.

Eligibility requirements

To be eligible for this licence you must:

  • be at least 18 years old (for a heavy vehicle), or 16 years old (for any other vehicle)
  • keep your vehicle primarily in Western Australia
  • ensure that your vehicle meets the prescribed standards and requirements.

You may also need to have your vehicle examined by an authorised vehicle examiner.


As specified


Fees Details for this service in table format.

Task Type Business Structure Description
Apply Application All Fees will change depending on your circumstances. Please contact the agency for more information.

Act(s) name

Road Traffic (Vehicles) Act 2012 Western Australia

Regulation(s) name

Road Traffic (Vehicles) Regulations 2014 Western Australia

Lodgement process


You must submit your completed application along with your proof of age and identity in person.

Administering agency

Department of Transport

Transport Services

Driver and Vehicle Services

Contact details

Contact Email, Phone and Address Details for this service in simple two column table format, header then data.

Supporting information