Workers' Compensation Insurance - Western Australia


You must obtain workers compensation insurance if you employ any workers in your business.

A worker is any person to whose service an industrial award or industrial agreement applies, and any person you have engaged to work for the purposes of your trade or business. This includes:

  • full-time workers on a wage or salary
  • part-time, casual and seasonal workers
  • workers on commission
  • piece workers
  • working directors
  • contractors and sub-contractors (in some circumstances)
  • family members (in some circumstances).

You must obtain workers compensation insurance from an approved external provider. However, in some circumstances it is possible to be a self-insurer.

Service type

Regulatory Obligation

An obligation defined in law. A business must comply with relevant services.

Eligibility requirements

All employers must obtain insurance unless they are granted an exemption.

Please consult directly with the Contact Officer for information on any eligibility requirements for an exemption.


Fees Details for this service in table format.

Task Type Business Structure Description
Apply Application All Please contact the agency for more information.


Other resources

Task Business Structure Resources
Apply All Approved Insurers (Opens in new window)

Act(s) name

Workers' Compensation and Injury Management Act 1981 Western Australia

Regulation(s) name

Workers' Compensation and Injury Management Regulations 1982 Western Australia

Administering agency

WorkCover Western Australia

Contact details

Contact Email, Phone and Address Details for this service in simple two column table format, header then data.