Working with Children Check - Western Australia


You will require this check if you intend to engage in paid, unpaid or volunteer work with children in Western Australia. The check is there to assess the risk of harm to children should you engage in child-related work. The check includes a review of your national police history and, where you have a relevant criminal record, an assessment of all other appropriate information.

You will be considered to have child-related work if it falls into one of the following categories:

  • child care service
  • community kindergarten
  • educational institution for children
  • coaching or private tuition service
  • arrangement for the accommodation / care of children
  • placement arrangement or secure care arrangement
  • children and community services officer
  • detention centre
  • community child health service
  • counselling or the support service
  • religious organisation
  • club / association / movement with significant membership / involvement of children
  • children's ward of a public or private hospital
  • baby sitting or child minding service
  • overnight camp involving children
  • transport service specifically for children
  • school crossing service
  • children's entertainment or party service.

You can find more information regarding these categories on the agency website. Please consult the Contact Officer for more information.

Service type


A licence defines the need to obtain recognition / certification and registration to undertake a certain business activity.

Eligibility requirements

To be eligible for a working with children check you must:

  • provide proof of identification
  • complete the required forms, including having your future employer / volunteer coordinator sign the forms
  • pay any applicable fees.

The process will involve a risk assessment and you may be contacted directly and asked to provide further information.

Please consult the Contact Officer for more information regarding eligibility requirements.


Expires after three years. You will then need to reapply to continue in child-related work.


Fees Details for this service in table format.

Task Type Business Structure Amount Description
Apply Application All $84.00

Self-employed and paid workers

Apply Application All $11.00

Volunteers and unpaid workers

General Duplicate Certificate All $11.00 -

Act(s) name

Working with Children (Criminal Record Checking) Act 2004 WA

Regulation(s) name

Working with Children (Criminal Record Checking) Regulations 2005 WA

Application process


You can obtain an application form from the nearest authorised Australian Post outlet or you can obtain one by contacting the agency.

You can renew your working with children check online.

Approval time

Please allow 3 to 12 weeks for your application to be processed.

Administering agency

Department of Communities

Working with Children Screening Unit

Contact details

Contact Email, Phone and Address Details for this service in simple two column table format, header then data.


Working with Children Screening Unit

Department of Communities

Mailing address: PO BOX 1262
West Perth, Western Australia 6872
Toll Free: 1800 883 979
Phone: 08 6217 8100
Fax: 08 9221 6345
Website: Working with Children Screening Unit (Opens in new window)