You may need this approval if you intend to carry out works on premises that will cause emissions. Premises that cause emissions are prescribed premises. Emissions mean the:
- discharge of waste
- emission of noise, odour or electromagnetic radiation
- transmission of electromagnetic radiation.
Circumstances in which you will need this approval include:
- changing a premises category
- adding a premises category
- undertaking additional works or emissions not previously assessed
- changing containment infrastructure not previously assessed
- the scale of the works and the impact of the changes to a premises is considerable.
Prescribed premises are defined within Part 1 Schedule 1 of the Environmental Protection Regulations 1987.
A works approval may be required to authorise construction works at a premises, and that a subsequent licence or registration will be required to authorise ongoing operations.