You will require this approval if you intend to operate premises where vehicle inspection duties take place. You must have this approval in order to issue registration certificates from a certain location.
Please use the contact details below to find out more information.
A licence defines the need to obtain recognition / certification and registration to undertake a certain business activity.
To be eligible for approval, you must:
- Not, during the last five years, have been convicted or found guilty by a court in Australia of an offence against the law of any jurisdiction that involves fraud or dishonesty (in regard to a corporation this is applicable to each director of the corporation);
- Not be disqualified from applying for approval; and
- Be a suitable person to be the proprietor of approved premises; and
- The premises must be suitable and equipped according to the authorising Agency's requirements.
Furthermore, you are required to keep up-to-date copies of:
- The ACT Inspection Manual for Light Vehicles;
- The ACT Inspection Manual for Heavy Vehicles;
- Each Australian Design Rule forming a part of either manual; and
- Any document a part of which is applied, adopted or incorporated in either manual.
You are also required to:
- Clearly display the certificate of approval for your premises; and
- Clearly display a notice with the words 'approved inspection station' in capital letters at least 5cm high.
Please consult the Contact Officer for more information regarding eligibility requirements.
Prospective proprietors of approved premises need to ensure that their premises meets the prescribed requirements of the Scheme; complete the relevant application forms, enclosing copies of their police character check forms (originals will need to be available for inspection during the premises inspection) and submit these along with the application fee to the Agency.
On receipt of correctly completed forms and application fee the Agency will arrange for an inspection of the premises to be undertaken.
Chief Minister, Treasury and Economic Development Directorate
Road Transport Authority
Road Transport (Vehicle Registration) Act 1999 (Australian Capital Territory)
Road Transport (Vehicle Registration) Regulations 2000 (Australian Capital Territory)
The information contained on the Australian Business Licence and Information Service
(ABLIS) web site, or via packages or other sources is intended for general guidance
To the full extent permitted by law, the Federal, State, Territory and Local Governments
make no representations or warranties (expressed or implied) in relation to the
information, including its accuracy, currency or completeness.
The business information provided does not constitute professional or legal advice,
nor is the use of any third party resource an endorsement of the information contained,
the associated organisation, product or service. It is recommended that you obtain
appropriate professional and /or independent legal advice to ensure that the material
provided here is relevant to your particular circumstances.
To the full extent permitted by law the Federal, State, Territory and Local Governments,
their employees and agents do not accept any liability for any reason, including
without limitation, liability in negligence, to any person for the general information
which is provided herein, or in respect of anything, including the consequences
of anything done, or not done, by any such person in whole or partial reliance upon