Wildlife Farmer Licence - Victoria

Service summary

You will require this licence if you intend to operate an emu farm. It enables you to possess, keep, breed, buy, sell, dispose of, display, destroy and process emus that have been bred in captivity or were obtained from an approved source. It also allows you to dispose of infertile emu eggs.

It will also allow you to display emus to the public at specified premises or at any site throughout Victoria (for purposes such as promoting conservation of or providing education about wildlife). You will also be permitted to incubate and hatch emu eggs on behalf of another licence holder.

This licence does not allow you to prepare, mount or restore whole specimens, or parts of specimens of dead wildlife in a manner that could be regarded as taxidermy, or rent, hire or use any wildlife for promotional purposes.

Service type


A licence defines the need to obtain recognition / certification and registration to undertake a certain business activity.

Eligibility requirements

To be eligible for this licence you must:

  • be at least 18 years old (or provide the signed consent of your parent or guardian)
  • be a person of good character
  • if you are applying on behalf of a business, nominate a person who will be responsible for the emu farm
  • provide details of any findings of guilt for animal cruelty offences or wildlife against you during the last 10 years
  • provide any other information required by the Agency
  • submit a completed application form
  • pay the prescribed fees.

Please consult the responsible agency for more information regarding eligibility requirements.


Ongoing requirements

You will need to comply with any conditions or restrictions placed on your licence by the Agency. You must ensure that:

  • your employees are competent to undertake licensed emu farming on your behalf
  • you do not undertake taxidermy at your premises
  • you do not rent or hire emus
  • your emu farm is under your direct supervision, or the supervision of the person responsible for the emu farm
  • ensure that emus are only killed humanely
  • you comply with the Code of Practice for the Husbandry of Captive Emus.

All Commercial Wildlife Licences expire on 30 June each year. Renewal of a Commercial Wildlife Licence is conditional upon submission of a Return for Wildlife, which must be received by The Wildlife and Game Licence Service by April 14. Licence holders who meet this requirement will receive a renewal notice approximately 4-6 weeks before their licence expires on 30 June..

Throughout the year you must maintain accurate and up to date records to assist in monitoring wildlife possession and trade. There are 5 main record keeping requirements:

  • informing the Agency of changes in your personal details, or details of the nominated person responsible
  • informing the Agency of any changes to the employees who work under your licence
  • maintaining accurate records of wildlife transactions in your Record Book
  • informing the Agency if your wildlife has escaped or been stolen
  • submitting annual Return Forms detailing wildlife in your possession and any transactions in the past 12 months.




30 June each year.



Fees for 2016-17.



Please lodge your application directly with the Agency. Do not attach payment as you will be invoiced for the fee if your application is approved. You will need to attach to your application form a copy of your National Police Check and copy of your Management Plan.

Approval time

Six to eight weeks.

Administering agency

Department of Environment, Land, Water and Planning
Plants and Animals

Act(s) name

Wildlife Act 1975 (Victoria)

Regulation(s) name

Wildlife Regulations 2013 (Victoria)

Contact details

Wildlife and Game Licensing
Department of Environment, Land, Water and Planning
Plants and Animals

Operating address:
8 Nicholson Street
East Melbourne, Victoria 3002
Mailing address:
PO BOX 500
East Melbourne, Victoria 3002


13 61 86


03 9637 8475

Supporting information


The information contained on the Australian Business Licence and Information Service (ABLIS) web site, or via packages or other sources is intended for general guidance only.

To the full extent permitted by law, the Federal, State, Territory and Local Governments make no representations or warranties (expressed or implied) in relation to the information, including its accuracy, currency or completeness.

The business information provided does not constitute professional or legal advice, nor is the use of any third party resource an endorsement of the information contained, the associated organisation, product or service. It is recommended that you obtain appropriate professional and /or independent legal advice to ensure that the material provided here is relevant to your particular circumstances.

To the full extent permitted by law the Federal, State, Territory and Local Governments, their employees and agents do not accept any liability for any reason, including without limitation, liability in negligence, to any person for the general information which is provided herein, or in respect of anything, including the consequences of anything done, or not done, by any such person in whole or partial reliance upon the information.