Restricted Hire Car Licence - Australian Capital Territory


You will need this licence if you intend to use a vehicle as a restricted hire car in the Australian Capital Territory (ACT). Restricted hire cars (RHC) operate for weddings and school formals only. If you intend to use your vehicle as a hire car in situations that are not for weddings or school formals you will need a leased hire car licence.

Please use the contact details below to find out more information.

Service type


A licence defines the need to obtain recognition / certification and registration to undertake a certain business activity.

Eligibility requirements

To be eligible for this licence you must:

  • be an Australian citizen or permanent resident
  • hold a Restricted Hire Car Accreditation which permits you to drive the licensed vehicle
  • be at least 18 years old
  • meet the Suitable Persons requirements.

Please consult the Contact Officer for more information regarding eligibility requirements.


12 months in line with vehicle registration and insurance.


Fees Details for this service in table format.

Task Type Business Structure Amount Description
Apply Application All $30.00 Accreditation.
Apply Application All $25.00 Licence - per vehicle.

Act(s) name

Road Transport (Public Passenger Services) Act 2001 Australian Capital Territory

Regulation(s) name

Road Transport (Public Passenger Services) Regulation 2002 Australian Capital Territory

Application process


Please lodge your application directly with the Public Transport Regulator.

Administering agency

Chief Minister, Treasury and Economic Development Directorate

Access Canberra

Road Transport Authority

Contact details

Contact Email, Phone and Address Details for this service in simple two column table format, header then data.