** Scheduled maintenance **

We’ll be updating this tool between 7 am and 11 am on 20 July 2024 (AEST). During this time, this website will be unavailable

Stablehand Registration (Thoroughbred Racing) - New South Wales


If you hold a trainer licence or permit to train thoroughbred racing horses, you also need to register any stablehands that you employ. A stablehand assists with the training and care of racehorses including cleaning the stable and handling the horse.

There are four variations of this registration:

  • Stablehand non-rider: where the stablehand will not ride a horse.
  • Stablehand rider non trackwork: where the stablehand will ride a horse in connection with racing but does not ride trackwork (for example, rides stable pony, ferries racehorses to the track).
  • Stablehand restricted rider: where the stablehand learns to ride trackwork.
  • Stablehand trackwork rider: where the stablehand will ride trackwork.

Trackwork means any training activity, excluding an official trial or jump-out, undertaken by a racehorse in the care of a training on a racecourse, recognised training track, private training establishment or elsewhere.

Please be aware that you must comply with the specified rules and your licence may be subject to conditions. Once you become a registered stablehand you can apply to progress to stable foreperson (advanced stablehand).

Service type


A licence defines the need to obtain recognition / certification and registration to undertake a certain business activity.

Eligibility requirements

Please consult the Contact Officer for more information regarding eligibility requirements.



Up to 1 year


31 October


Fees Details for this service in table format.

Task Type Business Structure Description
Apply Application All

Fees are listed on the attached document.

Other resources

Task Business Structure Resources
Comply All Rules of Racing of Racing NSW - PDF (Opens in new window)

Act(s) name

Thoroughbred Racing Act 1996 New South Wales

Regulation(s) name

Rules of Racing New South Wales

Lodgement process


You must provide a passport sized photo and medical report as part of your application.

Administering agency

Racing NSW

Contact details

Contact Email, Phone and Address Details for this service in simple two column table format, header then data.