Trainer Licence (Thoroughbred Racing) - New South Wales


You will need this licence if you intend to train horses for thoroughbred racing. There are four categories of trainer licence:

  • Trainer: you will require this licence if you intend to train thoroughbred horses for racing.
  • Owner Trainer Permit: allows you to train and race thoroughbred horses that you own.
  • Trainer Partnership: allows up to three people to train as a training partnership. If you intend to form a partnership you share all responsibilities, duties, obligations and rights provided by the Rules of Racing in relation to the training of racehorses.
  • Temporary Visiting Licence: If you are visiting from another state and intend to train a horse or horses for one month or such a period approved by the Agency.

Please be aware that:

  • you are required to register any stablehands that you employ; and
  • you must comply with the specified rules and your licence may be subject to conditions.

Service type


A licence defines the need to obtain recognition / certification and registration to undertake a certain business activity.

Eligibility requirements

To be eligible as a trainer you must:

  • provide evidence of satisfactory and current public liability insurance
  • have completed the required training course
  • submit all the required documentation
  • submit the relevant application form
  • pay the required fee.

Further eligibility criteria may vary depending on the type of trainer licence you are applying for.


As specified


Fees Details for this service in table format.

Task Type Business Structure Description
Apply Application All

Fees are listed on the attached document.

Act(s) name

Thoroughbred Racing Act 1996 New South Wales

Regulation(s) name

Rules of Racing New South Wales

Administering agency

Racing NSW

Contact details

Contact Email, Phone and Address Details for this service in simple two column table format, header then data.