Motor Vehicle Tradesperson Certificate - New South Wales


You will require this certificate if you intend to work as a tradesperson who carries out repair work on motor vehicles. This certificate specifies the class or classes of repair work you are authorised to undertake on motor vehicles.

Repair means to examine, detect faults in, adjust, carry out maintenance on, overhaul, replace, alter and paint a motor vehicle. Under the Act, the following classes of repair work are regulated:

  • automotive electrician
  • body maker
  • compressed natural gas mechanic
  • electrical accessory fitting work
  • exhaust repair work
  • glazing work
  • liquefied natural gas mechanic
  • liquefied petroleum gas mechanic
  • motorcycle mechanic
  • motor mechanic
  • panel beater
  • radiator repair work
  • steering, suspension and wheel alignment work
  • trailer and caravan mechanic
  • transmission specialist
  • under body work
  • vehicle painter.

A motor vehicle is a vehicle that is built to be propelled by a motor, and includes:

  • a trailer
  • any description of a vehicle on wheels, other than a vehicle used on a railway or tramway or an aircraft
  • any description of tracked vehicle, or any description of vehicle that moves on revolving runners inside endless tracks, that is not used exclusively on a railway or tramway.

The following types of vehicles are exempted from the Act and a licence is not required:

  • a crane, hoist or conveyor
  • an excavator, road grader, road roller, bulldozer or forklift truck or other machinery, that is not constructed on a chassis of a type normally used in the construction of a truck
  • a motor vehicle that is constructed or adapted for road construction or maintenance (including cleaning, sweeping or watering)
  • a vehicle that is not acquired for use principally for the transport of passengers or goods on public roads (other than a trailer or towable recreation vehicle)
  • a vehicle that is incapable of being registered (i.e. quad bike or segways).

Service type


A licence defines the need to obtain recognition / certification and registration to undertake a certain business activity.

Eligibility requirements

To be eligible for this certificate you must:

  • be a fit and proper person to hold a tradesperson's certificate
  • hold the required qualification for the class of repair work for which the certificate is sought (see the attached resources for more information on requisite qualifications for each class of repair work).
  • not be an apprentice or trainee.



One, three or five years


Fees Details for this service in table format.

Task Type Business Structure Amount Description
Apply Application All -

Grant of certificate:

  • 1 year - $33.00
  • 3 year - $77.00
  • 5 year - $128.00.

Reduced fees may apply for applications lodged online. Fees for 2022-23

Apply Application All -

Restoration of certificate:

  • 1 year - $29.00
  • 3 year - $63.00
  • 5 year - $102.00.

Reduced fees may apply for applications lodged online. Fees for 2022-23

General Miscellaneous All $51.00 Replacement certificate. Fees for 2022-23
Renew Renewal All -

Renewal of certificate:

  • 1 year - $22.00
  • 3 year - $53.00
  • 5 year - $89.00.

Reduced fees may apply for applications lodged online. Fees for 2022-23

Vary Variation All $53.00 Amendment to certificate to include an additional class of repair work. Fees for 2022-23

Other resources

Task Business Structure Resources
Comply All Motor Dealers and Repairers Fees (Opens in new window) Important

Act(s) name

Motor Dealers and Repairers Act 2013 New South Wales

Regulation(s) name

Motor Dealers and Repairers Regulation 2014 New South Wales

Application process


Applications can be lodged in person at any NSW Fair Trading Centre, Service NSW Service Centre or posted to the address on the application form.

Approval time

Please allow 28 days for your application to be processed.

Additional information

A tradesperson???s certificate doesn't authorise the holder to carry on a business as a motor vehicle repairer. To undertake motor vehicle repair work, you will need to hold a 'motor vehicle repair licence'.

Tradesperson's certificates are only issued to individuals.

Administering agency

Department of Customer Service

NSW Fair Trading

Contact details

Contact Email, Phone and Address Details for this service in simple two column table format, header then data.