You will need this certificate if you intend to work as a tradesperson who carries out repair work on motor vehicles. This certificate specifies the class or classes of repair work you are authorised to undertake on motor vehicles.
Repair means to examine, detect faults in, adjust, carry out maintenance on, overhaul, replace, alter and paint a motor vehicle. Under the Act, the following classes of repair work are regulated:
- automotive electrician
- body maker
- compressed natural gas mechanic
- electrical accessory fitting work
- exhaust repair work
- glazing work
- liquefied natural gas mechanic
- liquefied petroleum gas mechanic
- motorcycle mechanic
- motor mechanic
- panel beater
- radiator repair work
- steering, suspension and wheel alignment work
- trailer and caravan mechanic
- transmission specialist
- under body work
- vehicle painter.
A motor vehicle is a vehicle that is built to be propelled by a motor, and includes:
- a trailer
- any description of a vehicle on wheels, other than a vehicle used on a railway or tramway or an aircraft
- any description of tracked vehicle, or any description of vehicle that moves on revolving runners inside endless tracks, that is not used exclusively on a railway or tramway.
The following types of vehicles are exempted from the Act and a licence is not required:
- a crane, hoist or conveyor
- an excavator, road grader, road roller, bulldozer or forklift truck or other machinery, that is not constructed on a chassis of a type normally used in the construction of a truck
- a motor vehicle that is constructed or adapted for road construction or maintenance (including cleaning, sweeping or watering)
- a vehicle that is not acquired for use principally for the transport of passengers or goods on public roads (other than a trailer or towable recreation vehicle)
- a vehicle that is incapable of being registered (i.e. quad bike or segways).
A tradesperson's certificate doesn't authorise the holder to carry on a business as a motor vehicle repairer. To undertake motor vehicle repair work, you will need to hold a 'motor vehicle repair licence'.