Tranquilliser Firearm Permit - New South Wales


You will require this permit if you intend to possess or use a tranquilliser firearm to immobilise, tranquillise or administer vaccines or other medicines to animals. This permit only allows you to use the tranquilliser firearm in the normal course of your occupation, or for undertaking an approved training course in relation to the firearm. This permit can be issued to a business or an individual.

Please note that a tranquilliser firearm must also be registered.

Please consult the Contact Officer for more information.

Service type


A licence defines the need to obtain recognition / certification and registration to undertake a certain business activity.

Eligibility requirements

To be eligible to apply for this permit the possession or use of the tranquilliser firearm must be a necessary part of your occupation and you must:

  • submit the required application forms and associated documentation
  • pay the relevant application fees.

If you have never held this permit before, or you do not currently hold an equivalent issued permit, you will be required to complete a safety training course for tranquilliser firearms.

Please consult the Contact Officer for more information regarding eligibility requirements.



5 years.


Fees Details for this service in table format.

Task Type Business Structure Amount
Apply Application All $100.00
Vary Duplicate Certificate All $75.00

Act(s) name

Firearms Act 1996 New South Wales

Regulation(s) name

Firearms Regulation 2017 New South Wales

Application process


Please refer to the attached documents for information regarding the required documentation to be submitted with your application.


You cannot transfer this permit to another person.

Administering agency

Department of Family and Community Services and Justice

NSW Police Force

Firearms Registry

Contact details

Contact Email, Phone and Address Details for this service in simple two column table format, header then data.

Please use these contact details for help or more information:

Permits Unit

Firearms Registry

NSW Police Force

Department of Family and Community Services and Justice

Mailing address: LOCKED BAG 1
Murwillumbah, New South Wales 2484
Phone: 1300 362 562
Phone: 02 6670 8590
Fax: 02 6670 8558
Website: Firearms Registry (Opens in new window)