** Scheduled maintenance **

We’ll be updating this tool between 7 am and 11 am on 20 July 2024 (AEST). During this time, this website will be unavailable

Commercial hotel licence - Queensland


You will need this licence if you intend to sell liquor for consumption either on or off the licensed premises, as well as:

  • providing meals and accommodation
  • providing premises and catering facilities for a function held on the premises.

This licence allows you to sell liquor to:

  • the public for consumption on the premises during ordinary or extended trading hours
  • the public for takeaway purposes during trading hours only
  • residents and their guests for consumption on the premises after hours within the residents' units

You may also apply to operate up to three detached bottle shops or for approval to cater for functions held away from your main licensed premises. A function is an event or occasion:

  • to which persons are invited by or on behalf of its organiser
  • that happens in premises hired for the purpose by the organiser.

Service type


A licence defines the need to obtain recognition / certification and registration to undertake a certain business activity.

Eligibility requirements

To be eligible for this licence, you will need:

  • to be a fit and proper or suitable person
  • the capacity to seat more than 60 patrons at any one time
  • toilet facilities for male and female patrons on the licensed premises.

Your business must also have a commercial kitchen and at least two of the following facilities:

  • a dining facility (restaurant or bistro-style)
  • self-contained accommodation of at least three rooms for paying guests
  • a function room facility available for hire by members of the public.


Ongoing eligibility requirements

You must comply with all the conditions listed on your licence. This includes responsibilities related to trading hours, safety, advertising and noise. You must not conduct business on the licensed premises other than that authorised by the licence.

A licensee or an approved manager may need to be at the premises during trading hours to ensure the responsible management of the licensed venue.


Until surrendered or cancelled


Fees Details for this service in table format.

Task Type Business Structure Description
Apply Application All

View the current liquor and wine licence fees and charges.

Other resources

Application process


To apply for a new licence, you must submit the following:

  • a completed Form 1: Application for a liquor licence
  • a completed Form 5: Personal details schedule for each individual who is a party to the application
  • a completed Form 6: Application for registration of financial interest 
  • prescribed application fees (including the fee for criminal history check)
  • a layout plan (scale 1:100)
  • a location plan
  • town planning consent
  • a current title search
  • a registered plan of survey
  • a company extract showing all current directors (only if you are applying as a corporation).

You may also be required to submit:

In addition to the above, all applicants must undergo a criminal history and other relevant probity checks to hold a liquor licence. You may also be required to advertise your licence application.


You will need to complete Form 28: Application for temporary authority if your licensed premises are temporarily moving to a new location (e.g. if the current premises are being rebuilt, refurbished or is damaged by fire).

Transfer process


You can apply to transfer your licence by completing a Form 3: Application for transfer of a liquor licence. You should lodge your application for transfer six to eight weeks before the proposed settlement date to allow sufficient time for processing.

Please note that new business operators have no authority to sell and supply liquor until a transfer is approved and the applicant has become the licensee.

Additional information

Once your licence is granted you can pay your annual fees and manage your details using OLGR's client portal.

You can also apply separately for additional licences or permits.

Administering agency

Department of Justice and Attorney-General

Office of Liquor and Gaming Regulation

Licensing Division

Contact details

Contact Email, Phone and Address Details for this service in simple two column table format, header then data.