Permission to Use Wildlife in TV, Films or Theatre - Victoria


You will require written permission if you wish to use wildlife in a production. A production is in TV, film productions, advertisements or in theatrical performances. The wildlife used can be living or dead, or parts of wildlife.

Licensed Wildlife Displayers, Demonstrators and Taxidermists are allowed to provide wildlife for this purpose but must obtain the permission of the Agency beforehand and allow 6-8 weeks for processing.

Permission is not required if the wildlife is filmed in the wild and is not confined, controlled or manipulated in any way.

Wildlife must not be taken from the wild for this purpose. If the filming is taking place in a National Park, then permission must be obtained from Parks Victoria.

Service type


A licence defines the need to obtain recognition / certification and registration to undertake a certain business activity.

Eligibility requirements

Any proposed use of wildlife in TV, film or theatre must have a conservation theme and promote the welfare of animals.

The application must be made by the holder of a current Wildlife Demonstrator Licence, Wildlife Displayer Licence or Wildlife Taxidermist Licence.

Ongoing eligibility requirements

You must also comply with all requirements of any relevant code of practice.


Fees Details for this service in table format.

Task Type Business Structure Description
Apply Application All

Please consult the responsible agency for information on fees to be submitted.

Administering agency

Department of Environment, Land, Water and Planning

Plants and Animals

Contact details

Contact Email, Phone and Address Details for this service in simple two column table format, header then data.

Wildlife and Game Licensing

Plants and Animals

Department of Environment, Land, Water and Planning

Operating address: 8 Nicholson Street
East Melbourne, Victoria 3002
Mailing address: PO BOX 500
East Melbourne, Victoria 3002
Phone: 13 61 86
Fax: 03 9637 8475